- •Core MSK radiology training remains widely variable across the UK.
- •50% of core and 86% subspecialty trainees are satisfied with current exposure.
- •20% of core trainees report lack of US sessions or < 4 hours of weekly US in 56%.
- •95.5% core and all subspecialist trainees believe MSK training could be improved.
- •Other healthcare professionals competing for US experience may impact training.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
- Increasing subspecialization of the national radiologist workforce.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 812-818https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2019.11.027
- Subspecialized radiology reporting: productivity and impact on the turnaround times for radiology reports in a middle-income country.Radiol Bras. 2020; 53: 236-240https://doi.org/10.1590/0100-3984.2019.0089
- Present status of musculoskeletal radiology in Europe: international survey by the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2020; 24https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1713119
- Subspecialized radiological reporting reduces radiology report turnaround time.Insights Imaging. 2020; 11: 114https://doi.org/10.1186/s13244-020-00917-z
- Diploma - European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology.(Available at:)https://www.essr.org/diploma/Date accessed: February 5, 2021
- Workforce and staffing.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/press-and-policy/policy-priorities/workforce-and-staffingDate accessed: February 5, 2021
- Summary of the proceedings of the International Summit 2015: general and subspecialty radiology.Insights Imaging. 2016; 7: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1007/s13244-015-0453-6
- Musculoskeletal radiology practice subspecialization in Canada: a subject of substance?.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2018; 22: 522-527https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1673384
- Encouraging MSK imaging research towards clinical impact is a necessity: opinion paper of the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR).Eur Radiol. 2019; 29: 3410-3413https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-019-06218-4
- Second opinions in orthopedic oncology imaging: can fellowship training reduce clinically significant discrepancies?.Skeletal Radiol. 2019; 48: 143-147https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-018-3024-3
- Improving the relationship between confidence and competence: implications for diagnostic radiology training from the psychology and medical literature.Acad Radiol. 2021; 3 (S1076-6332(20)30699-1)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2020.12.006
- The RCR Clinical Radiology Specialty Training Curricula 2021.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/clinical-radiology/specialty-training/curriculum/clinical-radiology-curriculumDate accessed: February 7, 2021
- Clinical radiology examinations.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/clinical-radiology/examsDate accessed: February 1, 2021
- Is my study research? Decision Tool.HRA, 2021 (Available at:)http://www.hra-decisiontools.org.uk/research/Date accessed: February 9, 2021
- Junior Radiologists’ Forum.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/junior-radiologists-forum-0Date accessed: February 8, 2021
- RCR statistics on careers; specialty recruitment.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/clinical-radiology/careers-recruitment/specialty-recruitment/statistical-summary-previous-roundsDate accessed: February 1, 2021
- The History of the Royal College of Radiologists.RCR, 2021 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/college/about-us/history-collegeDate accessed: February 7, 2021
- FRCR pass rates per module.RCR, 2019 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/sites/default/files/cr_dashboard_report_for_website_-_jan2020.pdfDate accessed: February 9, 2021
- Training Curricula.(Available at:)https://www.myesr.org/education/training-curriculaDate accessed: February 8, 2021
- Second-opinion subspecialty consultations in musculoskeletal radiology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016; 206: 1217-1221https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.15.14540
- Diagnostic imaging and spending review: extreme problems call for extreme measures.Radiol Med. 2017; 122: 288-293https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-016-0721-7
- The impact of a musculoskeletal training program on residents’ recognition and treatment of osteoporosis.BMC Med Educ. 2019; 19: 223https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-019-1653-4
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound training for radiology residents: lecture versus interactive learning module.Acad Radiol. 2016; 23: 789-796https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2015.11.018
- Ultrasound training recommendations for medical and surgical specialties Third edition.2017 (Available at:)https://www.rcr.ac.uk/publication/ultrasound-training-recommendations-medical-and-surgical-specialties-third-editionDate accessed: February 7, 2021
- Survey of current trends in postgraduate musculoskeletal ultrasound education in the United States.Skeletal Radiol. 2016; 45: 475-482https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-015-2324-0
- Interventional therapeutic procedures in the musculoskeletal system: an Italian Survey by the Italian College of Musculoskeletal Radiology.Radiol Med. 2018; 123: 314-321https://doi.org/10.1007/s11547-017-0842-7
- How, when, why in magnetic resonance arthrography: an international survey by the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR).Eur Radiol. 2018; 28: 2356-2368https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-017-5208-y
- Clinical indications for musculoskeletal ultrasound updated in 2017 by European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR) consensus.Eur Radiol. 2018; 28: 5338-5351https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-018-5474-3
- Recommendations of the ESSR Arthritis Subcommittee on Ultrasonography in Inflammatory Joint Disease.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2016; 20https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1593533
- ESSR Consensus document for detection, characterization, and referral pathway for tumors and tumorlike lesions of bone.Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2017; 21: 630-647https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1606130
- Clinical indications for image-guided interventional procedures in the musculoskeletal system: a Delphi-based consensus paper from the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR)—Part II, elbow and wrist.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 2220-2230https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-019-06545-6
- Clinical indications for image guided interventional procedures in the musculoskeletal system: a Delphi-based consensus paper from the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR)—part III, nerves of the upper limb.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 1498-1506https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-019-06479-z
- Clinical indications for image-guided interventional procedures in the musculoskeletal system: a Delphi-based consensus paper from the European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology (ESSR)—part I, shoulder.Eur Radiol. 2020; 30: 903-913https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-019-06419-x
- Impact of COVID-19 on UK radiology training: a questionnaire study.Clin Radiol. 2020; 75 (877.e7-877.e14)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2020.07.022
- Emotional wellness of current musculoskeletal radiology fellows.Acad Radiol. 2017; 24: 682-693https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2016.12.024