DWI-MRI can be used for assessing early response to therapy in Multiple Myeloma (MM).
Quantitative measurement of ADC could be used as a bio-marker of treatment response in MM patients affected by focal lesions.
DWI-MRI could open new scenarios in the selection of MM patients who might potentially benefit from different therapies.
To evaluate the modifications of the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) in myelomatous lesions before and after induction treatment and the correlation with patient response to therapy according to International Myeloma Working Group (IMWG) criteria.
Materials and methods
A homogeneous group of 18 patients with a diagnosis of symptomatic multiple myeloma who underwent whole-body MRI with diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI-MRI) before and after bortezomib-based induction chemotherapy were evaluated prospectively. Quantitative analysis of ADC maps of myelomatous lesions was performed with the following pattern types: focal pattern, diffuse pattern (moderate and severe), and “salt and pepper” pattern. Lesions were evaluated by quantitative image analysis including measurement of the mean ADC in three measurements. Imaging results were compared to laboratory results as the clinical reference standard.
A statistically significant increase in ADC values were found in the lesions of patients that responded to treatment. Interestingly, focal lesions showed a strongly significant increase in ADC values in responders, whereas no significant variation in ADC value in non-focal lesions (diffuse pattern and “salt and peppers” pattern) between responders and non-responders group was demonstrated.
DWI-MRI could provide additional quantitative information useful in monitoring early therapy response according to ADC changes of focal lesions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
- Infiltration patterns in monoclonal plasma cell disorders: correlation of magnetic resonance imaging with matched bone marrow histology.Eur J Radiol. 2014 Jun; 83: 970-974
- State of the art imaging of multiple myeloma: comparative review of FDG PET/CT imaging in various clinical settings.Eur J Radiol. 2014 Dec; 83: 2203-2223
- Multiple myeloma.Lancet. 2009 Jul 25; 374: 324-339
- Epidemiology of multiple myeloma.Recent Results Cancer Res. 2011; 183: 25-35
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) consistently precedes multiple myeloma: a prospective study.Blood. 2009 May 28; 113: 5412-5417
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS) and smoldering multiple myeloma (SMM): novel biological insights and development of early treatment strategies.Blood. 2011 May 26; 117: 5573-5581
- Whole-Body MRI versus PET in assessment of multiple myeloma disease activity.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Apr; 192: 980-986
- International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma.Lancet Oncol. 2014 Nov; 15: e538-e548
- Appearance of monoclonal plasma cell disease in whole body magnetic resonance imaging and correlation with parameters of disease activity.Int J Cancer. 2014 Nov 15; 135: 2380-2386
- MRI gadolinium enhancement of bone marrow: age-related changes in normals and in diffuse neoplastic infiltration.Skeletal Radiol. 1997 Jul; 26: 414-418
- Guidelines for the use of imaging in the management of myeloma.Br J Haematol. 2007 Apr; 137: 49-63
- The role of imaging techniques in the management of multiple myeloma.Br J Haematol. 2012 Dec; 159: 499-513
- Staging monoclonal plasma cell disease: comparison of the Durie–Salmon and the Durie–Salmon PLUS staging systems.Radiology. 2010 Oct; 257: 195-204
- Contrast enhancement and quantitative signal analysis in MR imaging of multiple myeloma: assessment of focal and diffuse growth patterns in marrow correlated with biopsies and survival rates.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1996 Oct; 167: 1029-1036
- Staging of multiple myeloma with MRI: comparison to MSCT and conventional radiography.Radiologe. 2004 Sep; 44: 874-881
- Bone metastases from prostate, breast and multiple myeloma: differences in lesion conspicuity at short-tau inversion recovery and diffusion-weighted MRI.Br J Radiol. 2012; 85: 1102-1106
- Whole-body diffusion weighted MRI with apparent diffusion coefficient mapping for early response monitoring in multiple myeloma: preliminary results.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011 Jun; 196: W790-W795
- Assessing response of myeloma bone disease with diffusion-weighted MRI.Br J Radiol. 2012 Dec; 85: e1198-e1203
- International uniform response criteria for multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2006 Sep; 20 (Epub 2006 Jul 20): 1467-1473
- Multiple myeloma: new staging systems for diagnosis, prognosis and response evaluation.Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2007 Dec; 20: 665-680
- Diffusion-weighted imaging for non-invasive and quantitative monitoring of bone marrow infiltration in patients with monoclonal plasma cell disease: a comparative study with histology.Br J Haematol. 2011 Jun; 153 (Epub 2011 Apr 22. Erratum in: Br J Haematol. 2011 Oct;155(2):281): 721-728
- Role of MRI for the diagnosis and prognosis of multiple myeloma.Eur J Radiol. 2005 Jul; 55: 56-63
- Longitudinal data analysis for discrete and continuous outcomes.Biometrics. 1986 Mar; 42: 121-130
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2016 (Available at:)Accessed 2016)
- CR represents an early index of potential long survival in multiple myeloma.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010; 45: 498-504
- Frontline therapy of multiple myeloma.Blood. 2015 May 14; 125: 3076-3084
- Programa para el Estudio y la Terapéutica de las Hemopatías Malignas/Grupo Español de Mieloma (PETHEMA/GEM) group. Superiority of bortezomib, thalidomide, and dexamethasone (VTD) as induction pretransplantation therapy in multiple myeloma: a randomized phase 3 PETHEMA/GEM study.Blood. 2012 Aug 23; 120: 1589-1596
- Complete response correlates with long-term survival and progression-free survival in high-dose therapy in multiple myeloma.Haematologica. 2007; 92: 1399-1406
- IFM 2005-01 study investigators. Achievement of VGPR to induction therapy is an important prognostic factor for longer PFS in the IFM 2005-01 trial.Blood. 2011 Mar 17; 117: 3041-3044
- Multiple myeloma: disease response assessment.Expert Rev Hematol. 2016 Sep; 9: 831-837
- Consensus guidelines for myeloma minimal residual disease sample staining and data acquisition.Cytometry B Clin Cytom. 2016 Jan; 90: 26-30
- Whole-body diffusion-weighted MR imaging for assessment of treatment response in myeloma.Radiology. 2014 Jun; 271: 785-794
- Quantitative diffusion-weighted imaging of the bone marrow: an adjunct tool for the diagnosis of a diffuse MR imaging pattern in patients with multiple myeloma.Radiology. 2017 Feb; 282: 484-493
- Application of (18)F-FDG PET and diffusion weighted imaging (DWI) in multiple myeloma: comparison of functional imaging modalities.Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2015 Oct 12; 5: 479-492
Published online: June 03, 2017
Accepted: May 4, 2017
Received in revised form: April 12, 2017
Received: November 15, 2016
© 2017 The Royal College of Radiologists. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.